Monday 20 August 2012

MICHAEL DES BARRES INTERVIEW

http://rockchicago.net/?p=1282

Michael De Barres is a British actor and rock singer. He is known for playing the recurring role of Murdoc on the television show MacGyver and for replacing the late Robert Palmer in the band Power Station, fronting the band at the 1985 Live Aid concert. He is also the ex-husband of groupie, actress and author Pamela Des Barres and is written about extensively in two of her books, I’m with the Band: Confessions of a Groupie and Take Another Little Piece of My Heart. I recently spoke with Michael about his career in music, TV and film.

Q: How did you get into acting?

MDB: A VERY EARLY AGE I REALIZED I WAS CAPABLE OF EXPRESSING MYSELF IN ENTERTAINING WAYS.LIKE A CHILD DOES WHEN PRETENDING.THAT’S ALL IT REQUIRES TO ACT. TO PRETEND WITH SUCH CONVICTION THAT OTHERS BELIEVE YOU.SO,KEEPING THAT CHILD LIKE ABILITY TO COMPLETELY DISAPPEAR INTO SOMEONE ELSE REMAINS WITH ME TO THIS DAY.I GOT LUCKY WITH “TO SIR WITH LOVE”..

Q: How did you get involved with writing music?

MDB: I FELL IN LOVE WITH ROCK AND ROLL WHEN I FIRST HEARD ELVIS,OTIS AND THE BLUES..I KNEW I WOULD AND I COULD DO THAT.I SAT DOWN WITH A BATTERED OLD ACOUSTIC AND LEARNED THOSE 3 MAGIC CHORDS THAT I STILL USE TO THIS DAY.

Q: Where did the band Detective form from?

MDB: I WAS IN LA. I KNEW JIMMY AND ROBERT BECAUSE THEY WOULD COME AND SEE SILVERHEAD.JIMMY CAME TO A REHEARSAL OF DETECTIVE’S. DUG IT AND SIGNED US…. WE WERE,NEEDLESS TO SAY THRILLED..

Q: What film or TV role have you connected to the most and why?

MDB: MURDOC WAS MY FAVORITE ROLE. I LEARNED SO MUCH ABOUT WEAPONS AND STUNT DRIVING AND CONSISTENTLY PLAYING THE SAME CHARACTER BROUGHT ABOUT A DISTINCT RELAXATION THAT ENABLED ME TO HAVE FUN WITH THE PERFORMANCE AND YET REMAIN AS TRUE TO THE MAD ASSASSIN I WAS PLAYING..

Q: What is your favorite movie you’ve done?

MDB: DIARY OF A SEX ADDICT.. IT WAS A MOVIE I MADE WITH ROSANNA ARQUETTE AND NASTSSIA KINSKI..I FEEL IT WAS MY BEST PERFORMANCE. IT DEALT WITH A SIDE OF ME THAT WAS TRUE AND THEREFORE REQUIRED ME TO GO DEEPER THAN I HAD EVER GONE WITH ANY OTHER PERFORMANCE.THERE ARE TIMES IN THAT MOVIE THAT I WS UNAWARE OF THE CAMERA AND THOSE MOMENTS ARE WHAT WE ALL SEEK TO ACHIEVE.

Q: What made you decide to release a new album after all these years?

MDB: I MAY HAVE LEFT ROCK AND ROLL TO ACT BUT ROCK AND ROLL NEVER LEFT ME.I COULD NOT IGNORE THE BEAT OF THAT BASS DRUM IN MY HEART.THE UNBRIDLED JOY OF LIVE PERFORMANCE AND THE HUNDREDS OF SONGS I HAD WRITTEN! I WAS COMPELLED TO PLAY LIVE AGAIN..OUT OF THOSE COUNTLESS SHOWS IN DARK ROCK CLUBS IN MEMPHIS,NASHVILLE,AUSTIN AND CALIFORNIA WE PLAYED OUR ASSES OFF AND FORGED WHAT BECAME “CARNABY STREET” RECORDED AND MIXED IN 10 DAYS.EVERYTHING YOU HEAR IS ONE OR TWO TAKES. NO OVERDUBS EXCEPT FOR SOME TAMBOURINE AND BACK UP VOCALS.I SANG EVERY SONG LIVE WITH A GUITAR AROUND MY NECK.I DID NOT FIX A FUCKING WORD…THERE FORE THE ALBUM HAS AN ENERGY THAT I FIRST EXPERIENCED WHEN I SAW HENDRIX,CREAM. THE FACES,THE STONES,HUMBLE PIE.I WAS THERE YOU SEE. IT’S AS SIMPLE AS THAT.

Q: Whatever happened to your band Chequered Past? Would you guys ever reunite?

MDB: CHEQUERED PAST WAS A POWERFUL BAND AS WAS SILVERHEAD ..WE BROKE UP FOR THE REASONS ALL BANDS BROKE UP. DRUGS AND EGO.

Q: How do you feel about touring after all these years?

MDB: I HAVE NEVER FELT SO FULFILLED AND COMPLETE AS I DO TODAY.THESE 4 GUYS I’M PLAYING WITH ARE LIKE LIMBS ON A MUTANT HUMAN…A ONE MAN BAND. WE ROCK LIKE FUCK..AND THAT FEELS GOOD.

Q: What’s next for you?

MDB: NOW IS ENOUGH….!




If you have not done so already, check out Michael's Gonzo Artist Page

No comments:

Post a Comment

...BECAUSE SOME OF US THINK THAT THIS STUFF IS IMPORTANT
What happens when you mix what is - arguably - the world's most interesting record company, with an anarchist manic-depressive rock music historian polymath, and a method of dissemination which means that a daily rock-music magazine can be almost instantaneous?

Most of this blog is related in some way to the music, books and films produced by Gonzo Multimedia, but the editor has a grasshopper mind and so also writes about all sorts of cultural issues which interest him, and which he hopes will interest you as well.