Monday 30 July 2012

ALEX HARVEY: Tomorrow belongs to Alex Harvey

Mostly for my own amusement, partly because Rob asked Corinna and me to fix some of the spelling mistakes, but also in order to gauge the enormous cultural spread of the artists who have material out on Gonzo Multimedia, I am going through the website's artist database in alphabetical order and - amongst other things - running the results through the Google News Alerts engine. It is quite surprising what I find.

Take Alex Harvey, for example. I have been a fan of his since I was a schoolboy, and my old mate Doc Shiels played piano with him back in the 1960s. There is another link to my day job in that he once made a spoken word album about The Loch Ness Monster (which was, by the way, photographed by Doc back in 1977), and that it is now available on Gonzo.

He died thirty years or so ago, and I thought that it was only people like me and Doc who remembered him, but apparently not. Someone called mijkediablo has just posted a poem about him:

Tomorrow Belongs To Alex Harvey (a poem, after Dylan Thomas)

Tomorrow belongs to Alex Harvey.
Mewling sapling squeezed through
Creaking door, and crawling
Across years, decades, into
Sweet scraps and scraps of sweets,
Saps from seeds gathering dew.
And tomorrow belongs to Alex Harvey.

Read on...

No comments:

Post a Comment

...BECAUSE SOME OF US THINK THAT THIS STUFF IS IMPORTANT
What happens when you mix what is - arguably - the world's most interesting record company, with an anarchist manic-depressive rock music historian polymath, and a method of dissemination which means that a daily rock-music magazine can be almost instantaneous?

Most of this blog is related in some way to the music, books and films produced by Gonzo Multimedia, but the editor has a grasshopper mind and so also writes about all sorts of cultural issues which interest him, and which he hopes will interest you as well.