Friday 13 April 2012

RICK WAKEMAN VS DAVID BOWIE

Following on from Yesterday's Post about David Bowie and Rick Wakeman, here is an exclusive chunk from the reissued Rick Wakeman biography by Dan Wooding that comes out on Gonzo books, sometime in the next few weeks:

Gus Dudgeon, who has since produced Elton John’s big hits, (and who sadly died in 2002) recalls, ‘Tony Visconti and I were then working in the same suite of offices.

In those days, you couldn’t give Bowie away. The only record company that would take him was Mercury, in America. I knew Bowie from the days when I was an engineer at Decca and I did all the engineering on the two albums that he did for them.

One day Tony called me over the internal phone and said, “I know this sounds bizarre, Gus, but I’ve been working with David, and Mercury say he must record ‘Space Oddity’ as a single because the first American moon shot is coming up.

I want to do the album with him but I can’t stand this song. Would you be interested?”

‘I listened to the demo and thought it was unbelievable. I couldn’t believe Tony didn’t want to do it, and so I called him up and said I’d do it. This was in the early days of Mellotrons. I think The Beatles’ ‘Abbey Road’ had come out by then and they had used it a lot on that album. So as Bowie and I were discussing it we came up with the idea of a Mellotron, not to be used as a string section, but as its typical sound - very doleful and mournful. We decided that was fine, but there weren’t many people who knew how to get a decent sound out of the instrument. So we got the whole thing planned down to the smallest detail, because I knew ‘Space Oddity’ had a chance of being a hit. We planned where the Mellotron would come in and out, but because we knew so little we couldn’t really write a part for it.

So then we went back to Tony’s office, told him what we were going to do, and asked him if he knew anybody who could play a Mellotron. He said, “I only know one bloke, called Wakeman, but he plays in a dance band.” I said sarcastically, “That sounds great.” And he said, “He’s all right. I’ve been using him on Juniors Eyes* sessions.” So I said, “Well, it’s a gamble but let’s give it a whirl. If it’s a disaster we’ll over-dub it again.”

‘So we went into Trident Studios, London, and started running it through. But there was no sign of our Mellotron player. I thought, “This is great!” We got to the point where we had the whole thing down to a fine art and it really was sounding good. I was feeling very pleased with myself because it was the first time that I had really worked on a record, and something that had sounded a certain way in my head was beginning to sound correct in the studio.

‘At the last minute the door opened and this great long streak walked in and said, “I’m terribly sorry. My name’s Rick Wakeman - I’ve been booked to play Mellotron.” So I said, “Well, this is a bit of an inopportune time to arrive. We’re on the point of laying a track down.” He said, “Gosh, I’m terribly sorry.” I told him, “The only thing I can do is mark on this chart the points where I would like you to play, and maybe while we lay this one down you can sit and listen to the thing as a whole and see what is required. I must be honest with you, I know very little about Mellotrons - I don’t know how to get a sound out of them or anything.” Rick said, “Leave it to me.”

‘So I went over to the box and did a take and Rick sat there looking at his part without playing a note. Barry, the engineer, looked at me and raised his eyebrows as if to say, “Who’s this freak?” And I said, “I don’t know. Just some mad bloke that Visconti sent me.”
Anyway, we got to the end of the first take and decided to have a playback, and Rick came in and listened to it. I reminded him again of the places and he said, “It’s all right, I’ve worked it out. Are you going to do another take?” I said we were. He asked, “Do you mind if I have a go on this one?” I thought this was pretty ambitious but said, “All right.”

‘Well, we did a run-through and got three-quarters of the way through and Rick came in the right place. And what he played was exactly what I wanted. It was incredible! We did one more take and it was a master. I thought, “This is weird.” This strange bloke was all covered in spots and had greasy hair, wearing the most dreadful clothes. And we were all wearing Carnaby Street stuff.

We sat down and listened to the playback and he said, “That’s all right, isn’t it?” I said. “It sounds pretty good to me. I think we have a hit there.” And Rick said. “Well, is that all you want?” I said, “Yes, thanks very much.” And off he went. Just like that, back to his ballroom job. I thought, “What a weird bloke!” I really liked him. I thought he was great. But he was so weird!”

Rick told me, ‘I thought ‘Space Oddity’ was a guaranteed monster record. It came out around July 1970, and I played it to lots of people. Everybody said, “No, it’s not very good.” I thought after a while they must have been right, because it did nothing at all. But around Christmas it suddenly came to life again, and did monstrously well.’

No comments:

Post a Comment

...BECAUSE SOME OF US THINK THAT THIS STUFF IS IMPORTANT
What happens when you mix what is - arguably - the world's most interesting record company, with an anarchist manic-depressive rock music historian polymath, and a method of dissemination which means that a daily rock-music magazine can be almost instantaneous?

Most of this blog is related in some way to the music, books and films produced by Gonzo Multimedia, but the editor has a grasshopper mind and so also writes about all sorts of cultural issues which interest him, and which he hopes will interest you as well.