Saturday 5 March 2011


Delaney Bramlett had a fascinating career playing as he did with some of the biggest names in popular music over a long and successful career. Starting his career in the house bandfor Shindig the American music programme Delaney was considered a mover and shaker in the mid sixties;of course many will remember him as being half of the duo Delaney and Bonnie. With his wife Bonnie and a group of musicians labelled Friends Delaney and Bonnie enjoyed worldwide popularity between 1967 and 1972 with a period round 1969 1970 when people like Eric Clapron George harrison and dave Mason joined the band. Delaney and Bonnie and Firends continued until 1972 when they seperated bth professionally and personally. Delaney continued through the seventies to make solo albums and produce artists.

Taking a sabbatical of over fourteen years to spend time with his family Delaney re emerged with the release of the album Sweet Inspiration.
This album has recently been re released however when the original album was released in 2004 fdelaney took time out to talk to Jon Kirkman about the album and his illustrious past.

Sadly Delaney Bramlett died inlate 2008 however his daughters are now organising a campaign to have him inducted into the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame. Hopefully the organisers and board of the Rock n Roll Hall of fame will recognise the worth of inducting Delaney Bramlett a musician who more than most deserves the resepct and his place in the Hall of Fame!

Delaney Bramlett: Talking Sweet Inspiration
May 2004

Delaney Bramlett is probably best known for his partnership with his former wife Bonnie. The duo first met up in the sixties when Bonnie was a member of the Ikettes singing backing vocals for Ike and Tina Turner. The couple were married within seven days and recorded an album for Stax Records. “The Friends” aggregation drew some of the best musicians together and toured heavily including a tour supporting Blind Faith. Eric Clapton was so enamoured of the band that he subsequently left Blind Faith and toured with Delaney and Bonnie and recorded a live album with them in Europe in 1970.

Following the tour Eric went back to America with Delaney and recorded his first self titled solo album in Los Angeles with much input from Delaney. Other high profile musicians attracted to the Bramletts were Dave Mason, George Harrison and John Lennon. The duo recorded a number of albums before divorcing following which Delaney began making solo albums. This continued until the late seventies when Delaney dropped out of view to concentrate on his family. Sweet Inspiration was recorded in 1989 but remained unreleased until 2004 when Delaney spoke to Jon Kirkman about the album.


Jon Kirkman This album was recorded in 1989 but it had been a while since you had a deal. Why has it taken so long to be released?

Delaney Bramlett Well I don’t know really. In all that time I didn’t have a record deal with anybody.

JK Was that through your own choice or was it because you couldn’t get a deal at that time?

DB I was really concentrating on my family although during that time I wrote about 400 songs a lot of which people haven’t heard yet but may do in the future. So while I was concentrating on my family situation all I was doing was writing.

JK The title track which is the opening track of this album is Sweet Inspiration which of course was written by Dan Penn and Spooner Oldham who were responsible for some incredible material, presumably this must be one of your favourite songs?

DB Oh yeah, I wouldn’t have recorded it if I had not loved the song.

JK How did you come to work with Spooner Oldham because he plays on the album as well?

DB We met many years before this and he was one of my favourite piano players and writers and he moved out to here (California) and he was in my band for about three or four years. We also wrote some songs, one of which is on this album (Funky) and a few others that may see the light of day on other albums yet to be released. So that is how that came about. We have been basically friends for so many years.

JK In my opinion the album is a really good mix of rock and soul, would that be a fair comment to make?

DB Yeah, that’s pretty fair.

JK Another interesting track on the album that a lot of people will recognise is Let it Rain, which of course you co wrote and recorded with Eric Clapton for his solo album in 1970. The version on here is quite a radical reworking however. There are two versions on the album, one of which is an alternative mix, the other, as I have said is a pretty radical arrangement. Where did you get the idea for that?

DB You mean the version with steel drums on it?

JK Yeah that’s right.

DB Well that is the way I heard it when I first wrote the song. I wanted steel drums on it and that is the way it is on my version but when Eric did his version we didn’t really disagree but Eric just wanted it more rock ‘n’ roll. So that is what we did.

JK The alternate mix contained on the album is a little more rock ‘n’ roll, presumably you put that version on so people can make their own mind up as to which version they like?

DB That’s what I had in mind you’re right. You’ve hit the nail on the head.

JK With regards to some of the people who play on the album, in addition to Spooner Oldham on keyboards you have Chuck Findley on trumpet, Clydie King on backing vocals and your daughter Bekka Bramlett on backing vocals; presumably the remainder of the musicians are your regular band?

DB Oh yeah, I have a great band that I play with and in my opinion, it’s the best band I have ever played with. Obviously Chuck Findley is one of the best trumpet players in the world; he played in the band on the Tonight show. I have got Hank Barrio on guitar and Peter Klimes also on guitar alongside me.

JK The album has taken a long time to come out so you must be happy that it has finally been released.

DB I am, I always thought that when we first recorded it it deserved to be heard but you never know about these things and rap music was popular at the time. I do not like rap music.

JK Do you think the time is right now for an album like this then?

DB Yeah I think the time is right for this album and also for my new album, which I have just finished.

JK With this album getting a general release and another album about to be released, things must be pretty good for Delaney Bramlett at the moment?

DB Yes things are very good for Delaney Bramlett thank you very much. We have done a few concerts and they have sold out and we had a lot of fun. Like I said I have got the best band I have ever played with.

JK That must be saying something considering the amount of talent that passed through Delaney, Bonnie and Friends including Eric Clapton, Dave Mason and George Harrison.

DB Oh yeah and remember I played with John Lennon and Yoko Ono in the Plastic Ono Band. You have no idea how special that was for me. To me he was the Beatles. I have never played with Paul McCartney but I have played with Ringo and George became a very good friend but for me, oh I don’t know I may be wrong, but John Lennon for me was the Beatles and I was thrilled to do that.

JK Well having played with all these incredible people and you still consider your current band to be the best you have every played with, I think that is the ultimate accolade for the members of your band.

DB Well it is but I really mean it, they are great.

JK Thanks for talking to us today and best of luck with the album

DB Thank you Jon and you take care.

At the end of the interview Delaney was going off to play on a session with Ike
Turner. After almost fourteen years away from the business and a general
release for Sweet Inspiration and another new album in the pipeline, it would
seem that Delaney Bramlett is back in the thick of it, which I am sure will
please his many fans the world over.

©Jon Kirkman May 2004 and again 2011

Sweet Inspiration can be ordered directly from the Gonzo website here:
http://www.gonzomultimedia.co.uk/site.php?s=2&action=list_table&t=products&filter_id=152&dbf_search_for=Delaney+Bramlett+%28artist%29&image.x=9&image.y=14

No comments:

Post a Comment

...BECAUSE SOME OF US THINK THAT THIS STUFF IS IMPORTANT
What happens when you mix what is - arguably - the world's most interesting record company, with an anarchist manic-depressive rock music historian polymath, and a method of dissemination which means that a daily rock-music magazine can be almost instantaneous?

Most of this blog is related in some way to the music, books and films produced by Gonzo Multimedia, but the editor has a grasshopper mind and so also writes about all sorts of cultural issues which interest him, and which he hopes will interest you as well.